alkhe

Books I have read and loved

The product of a pathological need to categorise and remember every book I've ever read, and my only creative outlet being critiquing others' creativity.

Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit
The Luminaries
Eleanor Catton
High Conflict Personalities: Understanding and Resolving Their Costly Disputes
Bill Eddy
Gardens of the Moon  - Steven Erikson I only really persevered with this book because of the author's introductory remarks about how most people would probably put it down somewhere in the first third of it. I guess I can only scoff at the competition in hindsight.

Perhaps I'm dim, but there was just too much going on, too much introduced too soon, and nothing that I particularly cared about. I can count on one hand the number of times I was compelled to keep reading after the tram stopped in the morning, because the times I actually cared what happened to a character or plotline were very thin on the ground. Which isn't good for a so-so tome of 700 pages.

I wish I was able to stop reading books part-way through, because the crap ones take me so much longer, and because then I wouldn't be feeling like I want the past few months of my life back.